Preschoolers, grade school students, and college or university students are referred for a psychoeducational assessment for many reasons:
• difficulties learning at school, college, or university
• “gifted” learning profile
• concerns regarding child development
• behavioural challenges at school
• concern that a student’s true potential is not being realized in the classroom
• the need for “accommodations” in the classroom and for exams (i.e. the removal of “barriers” that get in the way of student being able to succeed)
• questions regarding ideal school placement or programming
Our registered psychologists are unique in that each of them has completed intensive clinical internships and comprehensive counselling training, allowing them to bring a holistic lens to each of the psychoeducational assessments completed at The Wishing Star Lapointe Developmental Clinic.
At The Wishing Star, the psychoeducational assessment process is informed by the most current information about brain development, and takes into account not only an individual’s strengths and needs, but also the role of family, school, and other contexts in the individual’s learning experience.
If you think your child may benefit from a psychoeducational assessment, connect with one of our skilled administrative team members who can walk you through the whole process from intake to results debrief to follow-up supports.
We understand that this can feel like a big decision, and we are here to support you each step of the way.